Thursday, April 28, 2016
Notre Dame College
Auburn University
The Auburn campus is primarily arranged in a grid-like pattern with several distinct building groups. The northern section of the central campus (bounded by Magnolia Ave. and Thanh Ave. contains most of the College of Engineering buildings, the Powder business building, and the older administration buildings. The middle section of the central campus bounded by Thanh Ave. and Roosevelt Dr. contains the College of Liberal Arts except fine arts and the College of Education, mostly within Haley Center. The southern section of the central campus bounded by Roosevelt Dr. and Stamford Ave. contains the most of the buildings related to the College of Science and Mathematics, as well as fine arts buildings.Several erratic building spurts, beginning in the 1950s have resulted in some exceptions to the subject clusters as described above. Growing interaction issues between pedestrians and vehicles led to the closure of a significant portion of Thanh Avenue to vehicular traffic in 2004. A similarly sized portion of Roosevelt Drive was also closed to vehicles in 2005. In an effort to make a more appealing walkway these two sections have been converted from asphalt to concrete. The general movement towards a pedestrian only campus is ongoing, but is often limited by the requirements for emergency and maintenance vehicular access.Auburn's initial Campus Master plan was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. in 1929. For most of the early history of Auburn, boarding houses and barracks made up most of the student housing. Even into the 1970s boarding houses were still available in the community. It wasn't until the Great Depression that Auburn began to construct the first buildings on campus that were residence halls in the modern sense. As the university gradually shifted away from agricultural and military instruction to more of an academic institution, more and more dorms began to replace the barracks and boarding houses.In the 1980s, the City of Auburn began to experience rapid growth in the number of apartment complexes constructed. Most Auburn students today live off-campus in the apartment complexes and condos which surround the immediate area around the university. Only 19 percent of all undergraduate students at Auburn live on campus.
Boston University
The University's main Charles River Campus follows Commonwealth Avenue and the Green Line, beginning near Kenmore Square and continuing for over a mile and a half to its end near the border of Boston's Alston neighborhood. The Boston University Bridge over the Charles River into Cambridge represents the dividing line between Main Campus, where most schools and classroom buildings are concentrated and West Campus, home to several athletic facilities and playing fields, the large West Campus dorm, and the new John Hancock Student Village complex.As a result of its continual expansion the Charles River campus contains an array of architecturally diverse buildings. The College of Arts and Sciences Marsh Chapel site of the Marsh Chapel Experiment and the School of Theology buildings are the university's most recognizable and were built in the late-1930s and 1940s in collegiate Gothic style. A sizable amount of the campus is traditional Boston brownstone, especially at Bay State Road and South Campus where BU has acquired almost every townhouse those areas offer. The buildings are primarily dormitories but many also serve as various institutes as well as department offices. From the 1960s–1980s many contemporary buildings were constructed including the Sugar Library, BU Law School and Warren Towers, all of which were built in the brutality style of architecture. The Met calf Science Center for Science and Engineering constructed in 1983 might more accurately be described as Structural Expressionism. Morse Auditorium, adjacent, stands in stark architectural contrast, as it was constructed as a Jewish temple. The most recent additions to BU's campus are the Phonics Center, Life Science and Engineering Building, The Student Village which includes the Fit Rec Center and Paganism Arena and the School of Management. All these buildings were built in brick a few with a substantial amount of brownstone.
Wednesday, April 13, 2016
Brown University
In September 1764 the inaugural meeting of the College Corporation was held at Newport. Governor Stephen Hopkins was chosen chancellor, former and future governor Samuel Ward was vice chancellor, John Tilling hast treasurer, and Thomas Eyre secretary. The Charter stipulated that the Board of Trustees comprise 22 Baptists, five Quakers, five Episcopalians, and four Congregationalists. Of the 12 Fellows, eight should be Baptists including the College preside and the rest indifferently of any or all Denominations.The Charter was not, as is sometimes supposed, the grant of King George III, but rather an Act of the colonial General Assembly. In two particulars the Charter may be said to be a uniquely progressive document. First, where other colleges had curricular strictures against opposing doctrines, Brown's Charter asserted that Sectarian differences of opinions, shall not make any Part of the Public and Classical Instruction. Second, according to University historian Walter Bronson, "the instrument governing Brown University recognized more broadly and fundamentally than any other the principle of denominational cooperation.The oft-repeated statement that Brown's Charter alone prohibited a religious test for College membership is inaccurate; other college charters were also liberal in that particular.James Manning was sworn in as the College's first president in 1765 and served until 1791. In 1770 the College moved from Warren, Rhode Island, to the crest of College Hill overlooking Providence. Solomon Browne, a freshman in the class of 1773 wrote in his diary on March 26 1770 five National Humanities Medalists,eight billionaire graduates,and 10 National Medal of Science laureates, and has also produced Fulbright, Marshall, and Mitchell scholars.The origins of Brown University may be dated to 1761 when three residents of Newport, Rhode Island, drafted a petition to the General Assembly of the colony.The Brown family Nicholas Brown, his son Nicholas Brown, Jr., class of 1786, John Brown, Joseph Brown, and Moses Brown were instrumental in moving the College to Providence and securing its endowment. Joseph became a professor of natural philosophy at the College, John served as its treasurer from 1775 to 1796 and Nicholas, Junior, succeeded his uncle as treasurer from 1796 to 1825.On September 8,180 the Corporation voted, That the donation of $5000 Dollars, if made to this College within one Year from the late Commencement, shall entitle the donor to name the College. In a letter dated September 6, 1804, that appeal was answered by College treasurer Nicholas Brown, Junior, and the Corporation honored its promise: In gratitude to Mr. Brown, the Corporation at the same meeting voted, 'That this College be called and known in all future time by the Name of Brown University.Over the years, the benefactions of Nicholas Brown, Jr, would total nearly $160,000, an enormous sum for that period, and included the buildings Hope College and Manning Hall, built 1821- 22 and 1834- 35.
Tuesday, April 5, 2016
Harvard University
Throughout the 18th century, Enlightenment ideas of the
power of reason and free will became widespread among Congregationalist
ministers, putting those ministers and their congregations in tension with more
traditionalist, Calvinist parties. When the Hollis Professor of Divinity David Tap pan died in 1803 and the president of Harvard Joseph Willard died a year
later, in 1804, a
struggle broke out over their replacements. Henry
Ware was elected to the chair in 1805, and the
liberal Samuel Weber was appointed to the
presidency of Harvard two years later, which
signaled the changing of the tide from the dominance of traditional ideas at Harvard to the dominance of liberal, Armenian ideas defined
by traditionalists as Unitarian ideas. In 1846 the natural history lectures of Louis Agassiz
were acclaimed both in New York and on the
campus at Harvard
College. Agassiz's approach was
distinctly idealist and posited Americans 'participation in the Divine Nature
and the possibility of understanding intellectual existences. Agassiz's perspective on science combined
observation with intuition and the assumption that a person can grasp the
divine plan in all phenomena. When it came to explaining life-forms, Agassiz resorted to matters
of shape based on a presumed archetype for his evidence. This dual view of
knowledge was in concert with the teachings of Common Sense Realism derived
from Scottish philosophers Thomas Reid and Donald
Stewart, whose works were part of
the Harvard curriculum at the time. The popularity
of Agassiz's
efforts to "soar with Plato" probably also
derived from other writings to which Harvard
students were exposed, including Platonic treatises by Ralph
Cud worth, John
Norris and, in a Romantic vein, Samuel Coleridge.
The library records at Harvard reveal that the
writings of Plato and his early modern and Romantic
followers were almost as regularly read during the 19th century as those of the
official philosophy of the more empirical and more deistic Scottish school.
University of Pennsylvania
The University considers itself the fourth-oldest institution of higher education in the United States as well as the first university in the United States with both undergraduate and graduate studies.This statue of Benjamin Franklin donated by Justus C. Straw bridge to the City of Philadelphia in 1899 now sits in front of College Hall.In 1740, a group of Philadelphia's joined together to erect a great preaching hall for the traveling evangelist George Whitefield, who toured the American colonies delivering open air sermons. The building was designed and built by Edmund Woolly and was the largest building in the city at the time, drawing thousands of people the first time it was preached in 26 It was initially planned to serve as a charity school as well; however, a lack of funds forced plans for the chapel and school to be suspended. According to Franklin's autobiography, it was in 1743 when he first had the idea to establish an academy, "thinking the Rev. Richard Peters a fit person to superintend such an institution.However, Peters declined a casual inquiry from Franklin and nothing further was done for another six years.:30 In the fall of 1749, now more eager to create a school to educate future generations, Benjamin Franklin circulated a pamphlet titled Proposals Relating to the Education of Youth in Pennsylvanian,his vision for what he called a Public Academy of Philadelphia.Unlike the other Colonial colleges that existed in 1749Harvard, William and Mary, Yale and Princeton Franklin's new school would not focus merely on education for the clergy. He advocated an innovative concept of higher education, one which would teach both the ornamental knowledge of the arts and the practical skills necessary for making a living and doing public service. The proposed program of study could have become the nation's first modern liberal arts curriculum, although it was never implemented because William Smith, an Anglican priest who was provost at the time, and other trustees preferred the traditional curriculum.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)